Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Hustled?

I left the house today at about 1 pm to pick our clothes up from the laundromat. As I was pulling out of the driveway, I glanced down the street at the local gas station which had about 30 cars lined up along the street and in the parking lot. Then I saw the sign: Unleaded $1.00 (SERIOUSLY!)

So, I pulled back into the driveway and got out to retrieve our other car which needs gas. I grabbed a couple of bottles of water, buckle the kiddies into the backseat and head off to wait in line. I was sitting there for about 2 minutes with 4 cars in front of me when I saw the cashier open the station door and holler to everyone within hearing range, "When you get to the pump, please come inside and pre-pay so we can get you on our list." Alright then!

It was getting kind of hot so I stepped out of the car and opened the hatch so the boys could get some fresh air. Our air conditioner is not very effective, you see. So, we waited another 15 minutes for our turn. When I was next in line I un-buckled the kiddies and headed into the store to pre-pay. I handed the clerk a $20.00 and said, "I'd like to get $15.00, but if my tank won't take that much can I come back in and get a refund for the remainder?" To which she replies, "Sure, yeah."

So, I'm out in my car again and it's finally my turn. I was pretty excited. I mean $1.00 per gal and I was about to fill up paying only about $12-15.00!! Joe's going to be so happy!!

I started the pump up and waited patiently expecting the gallons and price to be basically the same. They weren't. Not even close...

The pump stopped at $15.00 and I'm looking at the little window that's telling me that I now have an additional 5.3 gallons of gas in my car. WTH?? I pulled around to the front of the store and I un-buckleed the boys...again. We went inside and here is the conversation I had with the clerk:

"I just payed $15.00 for 5.3 gallons of gas."
"Okay."
"Your sign says $1.00 per gallon outside."
"Oh, well forget about that sign."
"Nix the sign?"
"Yeah."
"O---kay."

I was confused than ever and I left pretty ticked off. I felt like a complete idiot. I saw all those people waiting in line for their $1.00 gas and I considered hollering to the masses, "It's not for a dollar!! The sign is all wrong!" Joe says I should have called the Sheriff's department or something but I just didn't think that they would actually do that on purpose.

Was I hustled?? Probably. That sucks, damnit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MESSAGE