Saturday, November 12, 2005

My Neighbors

We live on a very busy street. There really isn't ever very much traffic because we're near the city limits, but there is almost always someone walking, jogging, skating, or riding a bicycle on our road. It's wide enough to accomodate both vehicles and pedestrians at the same time. Usually it's pretty quiet here. That's probably because the local police department spends plenty of time down here. When you're driving down our street you're more than likely to see at least one of the following people:

"DOT"-A forty-ish black woman who can be found doing a speedwalk/jog almost every day. She is always wearing black spandex pants with a black windbreaker. You can guarantee she'll be sporting her headphones and if you catch her at the right time you'll see her singing aloud. I always smile and wave at her as I'm passing but she's never acknowledged me. I suspect that she is so entraced with the music and is focusing to intently on her routine that outside interference is automatically denied her attention. Maybe one day I'll get a smile in return.

"JOHN"-An older black man, maybe in his fifties, that has shoulder length dreadlocks, mostly gray. I see him all the time walking to the gas station or back from it. He also walks his little boy to school every morning, although on occassion you will see his little boy sitting on his shoulders enjoying a ride to school instead. He's the opposite of "DOT". He is very alert to his surroundings and not only will he smile and wave at you as you're passing by, but he will act as if he was expecting to see you! I often smile when I see him because I know he'll be wearing his "hey, how are you?" grin.

"LIN"-She's an oriental woman who lives in the neighborhood. I've never seen anything of her except her face. Everything else is usually covered. She is always wearing a bonnet, a long sleeved shirt, slacks, and gloves over her hands. I speculate that she has a skin condition, but perhaps she is merely modest. She has her hands in her pockets most of the time and scarcely ever looks up from the road. She seems to be perpetually withdrawn but spends a lot of time walking our busy street. I've never seen her going in or out of any building (gas station, house, apartment). I don't have any idea where she came from or where she goes so she's an enigma to me.

Maybe one day if you come this way you'll meet them. :0)

No comments: