Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Anniversary

Yesterday was Joe's and my anniversary. Eight beautiful, love driven years.

In the beginning I lived with his mother and helped to take care of his sister and also with the housework. Meanwhile he lived with his father. One day, about a month after I moved in, he came for a visit. I had seen a picture of him, but didn't want to look "interested" in him. So, I dabbed on just a tiny bit of chapstick, and put on a barely-there layer of mascara. I stayed in my t-shirt and cut-off jean shorts. I don't think I was even wearing shoes or socks.

In walks this boy. Tall, handsome, and seemingly completely at ease. I was impressed by his confidence. More than impressed...intriqued. He spoke to me without fear and I knew immediately that we would get along.

We talked all night every night for 3 days. Then he was to return to his home in Mississippi. I didn't want him to leave because I was afraid he would never come back. But he did. And the night he came back I was so overjoyed, that I stayed in the bedroom and and waited until the last possible moment to come out and welcome him so that he could not see my desire.

Not only did he come back, but he never left again. Since that day in September of 1995 we have been together. Some times were good, some bad, and some ugly. But we were always together.

A toast to the one soul who keeps my heart afloat: may you always know your strengths and conquer your fears. There is no man who can make me float as you do. Cheers to the most beautiful, completely wonderful man on this earth!

No comments: