Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Word up!

I was listening to the local radio show this morning while taking B.J. to school. A popular DJ on the show was going to do a stunt on-air. He was going to lift a 100 lb cheerleader over his head (which, I guess was an achievement to him).

He was introducing the cheerleader to the audience and asked her a series of short questions. He wanted to know her name (Nicole), how much she weighed (101 lbs), and finally if she had eaten anything after being weighed. Her response to this question was: "I have ate nothing", at which time they teased her language skills. She "corrected" herself by saying "I haven't ate anything". The radio personalities cheered her for this, although she still wasn't using correct grammar. -Sigh-

I firmly believe that using the English language correctly is a huge step toward success in life. People don't take you seriously when you walk around using slang, incorrect tenses, and words that are only accepted by default (such as the word "ain't"). Call it a peeve, but I want my children to speak correctly and to speak well. It is the second thing that people notice about you (the first being your appearance).

I suppose that being in certain areas of the world you get so used to hearing certain words like "ain't" that it seems natural to use them. I have worked hard NOT to use that particular word because it has a controversial history with the English language and was really only accepted by default. Read more here if you are interested.

I'm not saying that I'm better than others. I just think it's important that we use our languages correctly. You are only as good as you make yourself, and I want to be great.

3 comments:

laura rayburn said...

This one drives me nuts:

[PERSON A]: "How are you doing today?"
[PERSON B]: "I'm doing good."

"Good" is an adjective; "well" is an adverb. The latter can be used to modify a verb, whereas the former cannot.

Raise your hand if you missed this lecture in the second grade.

Anonymous said...

I can speak gibberish!

Altered Memories said...

Laura, I like your style. :0)

Craig, congratulations.