Saturday, October 22, 2005

50 years!

I recently received an invitation from my Grandparents (on my mother's side) to attend their 50th Wedding Celebration. I was unable to travel to their event, but I was fortunate to get an email from my Grandpa, who described what happened. Here is an exerpt:

I managed to keep Audrey from knowing that we would be married again, even when all attending, and our three children that could not come, knew.
After I introduced our previous First Man and his wife, Frank and Jan C., I called Audrey up to join us. "This like when we were married 50 years ago, same couple, same first man, and this time we have a wedding cake!
" I said. "I wonder if there is someone here that could play the part of Pastor Ray W." I had told Pastor Bob to not respond until I asked him directly, "Do you know if there is someone here who could marry us again?"
This was the first moment Audrey understood what was happening. When the pastor asked for the rings, she tried to get her wedding ring off her finger. I told her, "That was for last time! We need new rings. Jan and Frank, do you happen to have any rings with you?"
Of course they did; our girls, Mary, who flew in from Houston, and Joyce, the hostess with the mostest, had picked out the rings and had them engraved inside, "David and Audrey, on your 50th wedding anniversary". I had sneaked out to get my ring finger measured, but had not seen the rings. The jeweler took two correctly-sized flat bands of gold and embossed them with the most interesting finish, so we can say they were made especially for us.
Now we have been married in
California, North Dakota, and Arizona, and are eager to continue this fantastic marriage for the next 50 years!

How beautiful is that?! I had no idea that my Grandpa was such a romantic. But I told him I suppose that 50 years is enough time to learn, lol!

Although I'm certain that not every year was perfect, they worked hard to create a beautiful, fully-functioning relationship that floated no matter how high the water rose. To that, I raise my glass!

No comments: