Friday, January 06, 2006

BJ

B.J., our 7 year old, came home from school yesterday, tripped over a gigantic bean bag that sits in our livingroom, and twisted his ankle.

He was in so much pain that I had to carry him (literally) to the hospital. I parked about 80 yards from the front entrance. It was as close as I could get without parking in the handicapped spaces. I lifted him until he was off the ground completely and tried to walk gracefully so that his ankle wouldn't bounce around.

I could see, as I got closer to the door, that there was a security guard standing in front of the doorway talking to a woman. I thought surely that he would see our painful treck through the parking lot and go inside to retrieve a wheelchair.

And it's not like I'm so big, and our son so small, that I was making it look easy to drag him into the hospital with his painful moans evertime we hopped. I'm 5'5", 130lbs and he's 4-9, 80lbs.

I was convinced that when the guard saw us that he would offer help.

I was wrong. Can you believe that? He stood there talking...no, he was flirting I could see the closer I got...to a woman until I was just about upon him. Then, he turned without speaking a word to me, and went inside. Not to get a wheelchair. To return to his post. It wasn't until I got to the registration desk that someone actually offered to help.

Now, I'm not a whiner. But I do believe in gallantry and common courtesy. This man seemed void of both traits. I just wanted to say, "For shame."

No comments: