Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Stinker.

This morning I had the extreme misfortune of hearing a radio talkshow host spew his disgusting ideas for ending poverty. In my own words...

1-We should leave politics and politicans out of it.
2-We should enlist rich entreprenuers to pay for relocating people in poor areas (if they choose to accept the offer) to areas where there is more opportunities for work.
3-We should built "Habitat for Humanity" homes for them in the areas that they are moved to.

And while all of this seems like a nicey-nice idea, let me present my arguement. First, relocating people to nicer areas of the world where there is more work does not guarantee a) that they WILL work; b) that they will seek a better way of taking care of themselves; c) that they will be responsible. It's a quick fix. And it's cheap. You see, the radio talk show host explained how it would save the american people money. Yes, that's a big part of his idea. Save poor people to save money.

And it's an insult to boot. All I hear is this guy saying to poor people "it's obvious to the world that you cannot take care of yourselves or your children. Therefore, we well-to-do's will do you a favor and pay for you to leave this area and move to an area where there will be more work and more opportunity for you to become more like us. Because we don't like poverty. It makes America look bad."

I don't have an answer. I just think this guy's answer is arrogant and insulting.

Joe and I always said that if we ever "came into money" that we would purchase used cars for people in poverty areas so that they can have transportation for doctor visits, work, school, etc. I don't want to change any part of their lives. I just want to give them a tool to make doing what they want and need to do easier.

What would you do to help the poverty areas if you had the money?

No comments: