Thursday, September 08, 2005

Birthday

I woke up yesterday morning and heard Joe's voice. He was whispering over the 2 year old between us in the bed.

"Today is his birthday," Joe said.

We spent the next ten minutes talking about the pregnancy, labor and birth of our middle son. It was an easy pregnancy frought with only one problem and that was worry. I walked almost religiously when it was the last month of the pregnancy. The day my water broke we grabbed the bags and headed over to Papaw's house to deposit our oldest son and then continued over the hospital. Somehow, the nurses were convinced that it was not my water that had broken but an "accident" that I had without realizing it and that they were sending me home. I was laying on the hospital bed in a gown ready to start my labor when they told me this and I was very insulted that they would think I wouldn't know the difference between my water breaking and (forgive the bluntness) urinating on myself. I told the nurses, "You're wrong. I'll be seeing you a little later."

About 10 minutes later we were back at Papaw's and I was pacing the street with wet pants on. My plan was to start my labor alone in full force and then go back. Shortly after I was on the phone telling the nurses that I was on my way back up there. They kept me that time.

Joe and I also talked about how fast he had grown. He was so tall and smart. Our little boy was growing up. We stared at this little body between us and smiled in unison. I heard Joe say, "I'm going to wake him up." He gently stirred our sleeping angel and said, "It's your birthday today. Happy Birthday!"

Our little angel, still in a San Fransisco strength morning fog, opened his eyes long enough to say, "leave me alone." The magic was gone.

Joe and I just looked at each other and I could see another plan forming in Joe's eyes. He quickly retorted, "are you going to eat cake and ice cream today?"

The angel AROSE and all of the sudden he was wide awake and his birthday was just as important to him as it was for us. Just for different reasons. It's the little things in life, you know.

No comments: