Monday, September 12, 2005

WWYD?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am in a quandry. Tonight was "B's" reading class open house. I went to meet his reading teacher and to learn more about their reading program. While I was there something interesting happened.

On the chalkboard was the following: "Buenos Dios. Today is Tuesday, September 13th". Now, I don't know how many of you know spanish, but the translation for what she wrote was "Good God. Today is Tuesday, September 13th." It should have been written "Buenos Dias".

I won't tell you what I did (yet). I'm curious to know how everyone else would have handled it. So, what do you think?



-------------------Okay, I think I've held you in suspense long enough-------------

Here was our conversation:

Me: Hello, my name is Tanda ******. I'm "B's" mom.
Her: Hi, I'm Mrs. ****.
Me: I just wanted to shake your hand and let you know that Brett really likes this class.
Her: Well, thank you. He's doing a really great job".
Me: That's wonderul. I'm very proud of him. Ummm...I was looking around the room and I saw on your board over there (I'm pointing) where it says "Bueno DIOS"...
Her: Yeah...(she waits for me to bring my point home. Shedoesn't get it yet)
Me: Ummm...well, "bueno dios" means "good God" in Spanish (awkward giggle)
Her: Oh. (I'm expecting her to giggle too, but she doesn't. Instead she goes over to the board and starts to erase the word "dios") Well, I guess I was in a hurry when I wrote that...
Me: Oh, yeah. I understand. (more giggling. Clearly, I have embarassed her because she is not giggling with me)

Thank goodness there was another mother there who understood the awkwardness of the situation and added "Well, some days...you know." She giggles. That made me feel better but I still feel stupid for how I handled it. Now everytime that teacher sees me she'll think "good god". Giggle.

No comments: