Thursday, September 22, 2005

Ticket to freedom

It took me several months of saving babysitting money to get it. At $50 before taxes, my new bike was my pride and joy.

I was 13 when I bought it from Sam's Club. It was a red ten-speed with horizontal handlebars that curled back at the ends. It took me forever to learn how to switch the gears located at the top of the bars, and eventually I just decided to leave it at the same gear. Hill or no hill, it wasn't worth the brain power.

I rode that bike everywhere! To the park, school, friends' houses, and the gas station. It was mine and I was so proud of it. After a month of owning it I learned how to ride without holding onto the handlebars. I could even turn soft corners without using them.

My bike was my ticket to freedom. I could leave my house, complete with 2 parents and 6 siblings, and ride anywhere in the neighborhood. My favorite place to go was a quarter-mile from our house. It was the biggest hill in the area. I would sit at the top of the hill and watch to make sure no cars were turning onto the road, then I would lift my feet from the ground. I liked to start off slowly. This way, I knew I was in control and could plan my next move. Then I would pedal until I was at a good speed, and if I felt confident enough that day I would relieve my hands of the bars and drop them to my side. Sometimes I would lift them just enough to get my balance.

My Mom always told me not to leave it in the frontyard where it could get stolen. I always remembered to put it in the backyard where there was a fence and a bike rack. One particular evening, though, I forgot. Something had gotten me excited and I dropped it by the front door and rushed inside. The next morning, when I opened the front door for my morning ride to freedom, it was gone. I ran to the backyard to see if anyone had put in the back for me. It wasn't there.

A week later I found it in a creek near my house. It was wrecked. Someone had not only stolen it, but had tossed it into the water and thrown rocks at it. My heart was as crushed as it's metal.

I haven't owned another bike in 15 years and anytime I ride another bike I always think of my old pal, my ticket to freedom.

Maybe it's time for a new one...

No comments: